Community and economic development begin with education. At AIANTA, we understand the value of starting from the source—tribes in tourism—to develop a sustainable industry and to foster growth. We work hard to provide educational resources, training and technical assistance to our members, partners and friends.
AIANTA is proud to offer the Hospitality and Tourism Scholarship Program, established to provide American Indian, Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian students with financial assistance to earn a degree or certificate in the hospitality, tourism, recreation, culinary arts or related fields. Each year, AIANTA awards three (3) individuals who have met all scholarship application criteria. AIANTA would like to encourage Indigenous students to build their careers in the tourism industry while sustaining and strengthening their cultural legacy.
$1,000 per academic year (Fall/Spring semester only), $500 per semester
Deadline for applying:
July 27, 2018 for the Fall 2018 semester
December 3, 2018 for the Spring 2019 semester.
- Must be of American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian descent (student must show documentation).
- Must be a high school senior or an existing student accepted into an accredited higher institution at the time of application.
- Must submit a letter of acceptance from college/university or technical /vocational institution.
- Must be enrolled as a part-time or full-time student.
- Must have and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or above (ALL current or future undergraduate and graduate college students are encouraged to apply).
- Scholarships are available for certificate and associate programs, undergraduate and graduate students – online colleges are acceptable.
- Scholarships must be used for books and/or tuition.
- Applicants must fill out the scholarship application completely to be considered.
- Awardee agrees to authorize AIANTA to use their photograph and any information provided in advertising, fundraising, or publicity in any media.
- Awardee agrees to return to AIANTA twelve (12) volunteer hours to AIANTA, a tribe, national park, or public lands institution within the awarded year to be eligible for the following year. A letter of proof must be submitted annually in August to the AIANTA office
To apply for AIANTA’s scholarship, click here, or contact Sherrie Bowman for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-724-3592.